I am calling these star renzoku because they all require extra guidelines in the shape of a star.
Even though they are all the same marking a small change in the stitch path can make a big difference in the over all look of the finished temari.
I did have to change the length of the star points on the extra guide lines in order to accommodate the change in stitching.
The first S12 star renzoku that I stitched I found that I had to stitch 2 layers to get six points. (see photo in last blog) I wanted to change that and I did by changing the stitch path at the pole, but I found that the hexagon that was formed was too large and a bit sloppy. I thought about it and wondered what would happen if I changed the stitch path at the petal point. Once I did that it opened lots of possibilities.
In the first photo of the top row I simply moved my petal point over 1 guide line. That allowed me to make one pass and have six petal points. In the first photo of the second row I turned the petal point into a W by stitching Kiku herringbone (uwagaki chadori).
In the second photo of the top row I left my pattern at 3 points and stitched two layers; in between rows I added a kiku herringbone that was not a part of the renzoku stitch path. In the third photo I stitched 4 layers of a 3 point renzoku path.
In the last two photos of the second row I followed a 6 point path but I brought my petal point below the equator so that I would get a diamond effect.